The Wiltshire Gardens Trust is a Charity that was established in 1985 to promote the development of garden knowledge and understanding and protection of Wiltshire gardens.
The objects for which the Trust is established as are follows:
- A. To promote the education of the public, on matters connected with the arts and sciences which relate to garden land.
- B. To preserve enhance and re-create for the education and enjoyment of the public whatever garden land may exist or have existed in and around Wiltshire.
We seek to achieve this in the following ways:
- To survey, record and conserve Wiltshire gardens, and thereby create a wealth of information on Wiltshire gardening.
- To seek to ensure the conservation of important gardens that may be threatened and to help new owners.
- To support Wiltshire garden-owners, and speak for garden owners in public matters that affect their interests.
- To promote the use of gardens as an educational resource.
- To cooperate with and assist in the restoration, re-creation, maintenance or management of garden land by making available advice and information and technical and financial assistance.
- To support the work of Plant Heritage and the National Collections in Wiltshire.
- To support garden or gardening related projects of charities within Wiltshire, including, but not limited to, those with an emphasis on gardening as therapy.
The WGT is an affiliated member of The Gardens Trust.
What we do
- Organise a varied programme of events to fine and interesting gardens, many of which are not open to the public.
- An annual lecture on a variety of relevant subjects.
- Carry out surveys and recording on Wiltshire gardens. More information is available on the Research page.
- Support Wiltshire garden owners by monitoring and commenting on planning applications.
- Publish the Journal bi-annually.
For members we seek:
- To assist the development of your gardening knowledge and advance the traditional knowledge, experience and skills in both young and old alike, by way of garden visits, lectures and our Journal.
- To provide an information exchange for gardeners: a focus for information and a channel of communication between organisations concerned with gardening in Wiltshire.
- To save and distribute uncommon garden plants, help to secure their propagation and ensure their continued existence.
- The Trust is run by volunteers who form the Council of sub-committee.
- If you would like to know more about the work of the Wiltshire Gardens Trust and would like to volunteer, please contact the Chairman.